If you’re looking to start up your own blog, there’s no better starting point than WordPress.com.
The most widely used blogging platform that is available as a hosted version (i.e. where a you can have a free website) is WordPress. This is because it is very easy to use but also quite flexible, so you can develop it and add further features as your confidence grows. An account and website can be set up in a matter of minutes. Don’t confuse it with wordpress.org, which is a self-hosted service.
To get started head over to http://wordpress.com and you will see a screen similar to the one right.
1. Click on ‘get started’ and follow the basic instuctions.
2. Choose a blog address. This is the unique URL that people will visit to check out your blog. If that blog address is available, you’ll see a green check mark. If not, chooise another name! Can I suggest you try use your name? ie email@example.com
3. Next, choose a unique username that will identify you in the WordPress.com community. You’ll use this to log into your blog.
4. Now it’s time to think up a password. You’ll need to enter the same password twice.
5. Next up, enter your email address.
6. Select the language that you’ll be blogging in ( presumably English!).
7. To create a free blog, click Create Blog. If you want to pay for an upgrade that’s up to you but it’s really not necessary for what we’re doing here today.
8. Next, head to your email inbox, find the signup confirmation from WordPress.com, and click Activate Blog.
And you’re there – you now have a wordpress.com blog!
Part 2 of my guide will focus on choosing themes and widgets for your blog.